Some of this is just for fun and part of it is because my son has been asking me for my Christmas list this year. Problem is, I never have any ideas. Well… not true. I do have ideas. But it’s stuff that is too expensive or too niche and has to be found in good condition on the used market at a good price. Which is a lot of work. Or it’s stuff I don’t want very much and would probably make a horrible gift. lol
Rather than just a Christmas list for 2020, I figured I would just make this a master list of everything I want. From the mundane to the ridiculously expensive.
By doing it here I can mix and match retailers, rather than just having say… an Amazon wish list. Because they don’t sell Ferraris on Amazon. Go figure.
So here goes, my master list of things I want.
White: Things I plan to eventually buy for myself or would happily accept as a gift.
In Green: Things I’m not excited about and may or may not ever buy for myself, but wouldn’t mind getting them as a gift.
In Red: Things I’m not excited about and may or may not ever buy for myself, but don’t want as a gift. So please don’t buy them for me.
Ultimately I want to get the whole set of Polk T series speakers and subwoofer to replace all my home theater speakers that are nearly 28 years old.
This is my reasonable affordable choice. And probably the best choice for me considering my budget. Otherwise if I had more money to spend I would get a full set of Klipsch at just over two or three times the price. After consideration I have decided that for the time being I would keep my existing setup including the Polk T15 I received for Christmas last year. This is mostly out of nostalgia. I’ve had my current Pioneer/KLH front end since the early 1990s and I’m generally still very pleased with the way it sounds. Over the years I have consistently swapped out my rear(surrounds) with various brands/models since the original KLH speakers I got with my front center KLH were just never very good. Eventually I lost one anyway and then threw the other out during a move from house to apartment. I’ve used my Kenwood bookshelf speakers then, Klipsch pro media speakers and then now the Polk T15. I was pretty happy with the Klipsch as rear (surrounds) but after getting the bigger Polk I have repurposed the Klipsch back on my computer desk. (striked out original and added new comment on 2021-11-22)
5. Fifty Used Minidiscs from Japan ($93)
I’ve wanted a lot of used minidiscs from Japan for years, but this is probably not the best gift idea since it will likely take months to ship. But again this is a master list that will stay up for years and be updated and recycled for every Christmas. So maybe eventually I’ll splurge and buy them myself or get them as a gift.
6. Acid Purple replacement pads for my Grado SR60 Headphones ($20) (Gifted on X-mas 2020)
I just got some new blue pads I paid only $5 for, so I don’t need these right now (especially at four times the price). But I thought the color was unique and cool. Also they may or may not be more comfortable than the blue pads which are not very comfortable. Who knows.
7. Orange Timex Watch Band ($10)
I’ve had this watch band on my Amazon Christmas lists for the past three years. I just think it’s kind of a fun color.
8. Lord of the Rings Trilogy 4K UHD Blu-ray Steelbook Set ($120 )
Best Buy 9. The Hobbit Trilogy 4K UHD Blu-ray Steelbook Set ($120)
Best Buy I don’t want them as a gift. This is one of those examples of a disappointing gift. So I’ve crossed them out.
I have these movies on two other formats already and have seen them so many times there is nothing exciting about getting them as a gift.
The only reason they are on this list is because I would like to eventually pick them up at a reasonable price. Probably used and definitely in the steelbook collection like this. Please don’t spend $120 buying me one of these sets.Â
I decided I don’t really want the steelbook versions of the Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit 4K movies anymore. If anything the cheaper regular 4K extended editions would be fine.
10. Plaid Flannel Shirts (size extra large)
I don’t even know where to find these, anywhere and everywhere I guess. Color can vary. I’m not that picky.
11. Red Wing Iron Ranger Copper Color Boots ($330 or less – size 13)
Again, too expensive for Christmas. But I’m throwing everything on this list. These are aspirational boots for me. I’d even take a used pair in good shape.
The extra PS4 controller is only for Street Fighter V otherwise it wouldn’t be used often. So, something to keep in mind.
14. Various 4K UHD Blu-ray Movies
Alien 40th Anniversary 4K ($9.99 Black Friday special) – Best Buy (added 2021-11-22)
Alita: Battle Angel 4K+3D ($9.99 Black Friday special) – Best Buy (added 2021-11-22) Bought 2021-11-27
Whatever else you think I might like.
15. Dior Sauvage
I kind of want some, but kinda don’t. The price is way too high. But eventually I’d like to get a small bottle if they ever release smaller bottles.
16. Timex Weekender Watch ($42)
I already have a Timex Weekender and like it, this is just a different color variation with a chronograph.
17. Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens ($267)
18. Canon EOS R6 camera kit with 24-104 f4 ($3600)
19. Sony FX6 Camera w/24-105mm lens ($7200)
20. Billy Bookcase IKEA (Black Brown color – $80) We just don’t have room for this so I’m removing it
IKEA 21. Tori Amos Under the Pink Vinyl (Bought myself 2021-08-22)
23. Any working Minidisc Players or Recorders – portable or component (Used prices vary – I prefer Sony, they seem to work the best)
24. Ryobi Electric Battery Planer ($79) I don’t really desire this (striked out on 2021-11-22 – I need this for one project, my desk, and that’s it, so I don’t really want it. I’ll probably just buy a new flat butcher block piece of wood for my desk at some point. – See number 42)
Home Depot 25. Sony Discman with MP3 playback (Used prices vary) (Bought myself summer of 2021 used Sony without MP3 playback)
25. Videomaker Magazine Print Subscription (1 Year – $30)
26. American Cinematographer Print + Digital Subscription (1 year – $30)
28. Silk Ties
Amazon or wherever
30. Velvet Plush Blanket Queen/King Size ($20) or Queen Size Sherpa Blanket (taken off – have too many blankets as is 2021-10-13)
31. Feelworld 5.5 Inch Video Monitor ($99)
Below added 2021-10-13
32. Vinyl Records ($various):
Nirvana – Unplugged ($25) Target (Purple colored)
Peter Gabriel – US ($25) Amazon
Pentatonix – A Pentatonix Christmas (Deluxe Edition – White Vinyl – 2xLP) (used – Mint or Near Mint please) ($20+) Discogs
Tori Amos – Ocean to Ocean (Blue Vinyl preorder) ($35) Official StoreÂ or Center Stage Classical
Queen – Greatest Hits Vol 1 ($35) Target (Ruby Red colored) or Walmart (Red and White colored)
Queen – Greatest Hits Vol 2 ($35) Target (Blue colored)
Gladiator – Soundtrack ($45) Amazon (this is so expensive :( – wish I could find it cheaper. Maybe they will reissue it when the sequel comes out)
34. Sony NP-F970 Generic Replacement Batteries ($36 – two pack)
35. Foster Grant +1.25 or +1.50 Magnification Multi Focus (Troy style) reading glasses ($31)
36. Neewer 660 LED Bi-color Two-Pack Lights ($97-$105 on sale)
37. iPhone 13 Pro 256GB (or higher) Unlocked any color ($1100)
Below added 2021-11-22
38. Blu-ray Cases (30+) ($0.75 each plus tax and shipping)
39. Apple USB-C Digital A/V MultiPort Adapter ($63.99 currently) – Two are needed, one would do.
40. Maglite replacement LED bulbs ($15.99) – Two pack for three cell D battery Maglites
41. D size batteries ($whatever) – 6 needed in total – not picky on brand
Amazon or wherever
42. Butcher Block Wood Desktop(countertop). 1.5″ thick (unfinished)
5′ (foot) x 30″ (inches) Beech – Home Depot – $229
Anything with the same dimensions so long as it’s a hardwood